As cooler weather sets in, it can be tempting to just bundle up and stay indoors with your family. Don’t do it! Well, at least not all the time…
Being active promotes good health for everyone and also teaches your kids exercise habits that will be beneficial for them throughout their lives.
Here is a great list of fitness activities for fall and the upcoming holiday season.
- Seek out seasonal activities: There are plenty of fitness games for kids that you can do in the fall. Take the whole family to the pumpkin patch or a corn maze, go on hay rides, or pick apples at an orchard. Look for fall festivals, where you can walk around for hours, buying tasty seasonal treats and enjoying other fall activities.
- Spend the day at the park: The days don’t have to be long and hot in order to enjoy a park day! Pack a picnic lunch, a bunch of fleece blankets, and the family’s jackets, and head over to the park for a day of fun. Play touch football together, take advantage of the windy weather to fly a kite, climb a tree, or just run around and have fun playing some playground games.
- Follow the trail: Look for outdoor trails in your area that support a variety of activities. Hiking or mountain biking is a great way to spend the day together, and don’t forget to pack a lunch! Or find a place to rent horses and go on a trail ride. Autumn has its own charms, and the entire family will enjoy seeing the changes in weather and scenery.
- Hang out at home: There are plenty of things to do at home, too. Weather permitting, every child loves raking leaves and jumping in the piles. As long as you leave time to clean up afterward, yard work can be fun for all, but don’t forget the hot chocolate afterward!
- Get your exercise indoors: When the weather doesn’t allow comfortable outdoor play, you can take your family fitness activities indoors. If the kids are getting cabin fever, try an indoor park with lots of fun exercises for families, such as Zero Gravity. Our indoor trampoline park provides plenty of opportunities to get the wiggles out, or set the kids loose on the climbing wall or net course. Have family rivalries to work out? There’s nothing like a lively game of laser tag or dodgeball to settle the score!
Just look around, there are plenty of family fitness activities that take advantage of the cooler days and crisp fall weather. And remember, when the weather is less than ideal, head into Zero Gravity, where you can entertain the whole family for hours on end.